My new book, Shadows on the Wall, is out TODAY!
It’s available in paperback and ebook from your preferred online retailer (links below) or from your favourite bookshop, so please buy yourself a copy if you like weird and dark stories of science fiction, fantasy and horror. And don’t forget to tell your friends.
If you read it and like it (and even if you don’t like it), please post a review on the platform of your choice.
Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Kobo | iBooks | Book Depository | Booktopia | Angus & Robertson
Cover painting and internal artwork by Shaun Tan
Foreword by Isobelle Carmody
Shadows on the Wall contains the very best of Paulsen’s dark and weird tales…plus stunning new fiction written expressly for this volume.
- Glimpse a future where population controls force families into terrible choices.
- Visit Colonial British India and experience the awakening of an eldritch horror.
- Walk the steaming jungles of Vietnam alongside the spirits of the forest.
- Light an ancient oil lamp but beware, the shadows on the wall.
- And more…
These stories are beautifully written and subtle, and in their subtlety, they linger uneasily in the minds…Their particular potency lies in the honed sharpness of the writing, in the repertoire of emotional responses to strangeness they offer through brilliant and detailed characterisation…They are shadows, shifting on the wall, barely seen, slipping into our minds to lie, light and cold over our hearts…
- Isobelle Carmody – author of the Obernewtyn Chronicles
Paulsen’s body of work, as evidence by this impressive collection, explores the nature of our fears, effortlessly exposing us to shuddering horrors and milder terrors while drawing us in with utterly real characters.
- Kaaron Warren – author of the multi-award winning The Grief Hole
Shadows on the Wall will take you into some dangerously dark places, places that you know you should not enter, but enter you will, for, alas, you won’t be able to help yourself. The stories contained within are rocket-fuelled with narrative drive. These subtle, ironic, humorous, and sometimes horrific extrapolations and fantasies showcase Paulsen’s wild talent and tight grip on craft.
- Jack Dann – multi-award winning, international bestselling author
Distributed by Dennis Jones (Australia) and IPG/SPU (North America)